a quick note

by Patricia on August 31, 2010 · 6 comments

Hey,

I’ve been meaning to tell you about something lately but kept putting it off. No, it’s nothing bad, but because it’s not really food related I’m feeling a little shy.  And besides, there’s been cookie dough and lemon bars.  Yeah, those got in the way. Anyhow, so here I am. Sharing some news. Well, not quite news but anyway here goes…

I am training for the Nike Women’s Marathon. Yep, I ran 14 miles this weekend and miraculously, I lived. I even still have the use of both of my legs.

I joined Team in Training (TNT) which means I’m also raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I have thought several times in the past about joining TNT but always chickened out because to me running 26 miles is way easier than asking people for money.

But last December, a close family friend, Mary Jane, was diagnosed with leukemia and at first, the doctors were saying scary things like “months to live”. It was devastating to the whole family.

Mary Jane is my California Mom. I stayed with her when I first moved to California for much longer than I probably should have, but she cared for me like her own daughter.

Mary Jane’s diagnosis was the extra push I needed to join TNT and get over my fear of fundraising. I’m still not excited about asking people for money, but when I think about the research that the money will fund.. the possible cure for blood diseases like Mary Jane’s… I get over my chickenhood.

If you’d like to make a tax deductible donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and help me meet my fundraising goal, check out my fundraising page here.

And even if you don’t, I’ll be back tomorrow with something delicious.

Thanks in advance,
-P

PS Have you tried these dulce de leche brownies yet?  You probably should.

1 Eliana September 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

Amazing! I’m training with TNT too for the Chicago Marathon in October. Despite the hills you’re going to love the Nike race. It’s one of my favorites that I have run of the years. Best of luck to you with your training and fundraising. I hope to be able to make a donation to your efforts in the next couple of weeks :)

2 Winnie September 1, 2010 at 8:15 pm

So awesome. I have always wanted to do Team in Training. Unfortunately I’ve got some hip issues going on so can’t run much right now, so no marathon training for me. I will have to live vicariously though you, I guess…keep up the good work.

3 Stephanie - Chocolate and Toast August 31, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Awesome! And awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing, I’m glad you did – it’s a wonderful thing you are doing.

4 Beth August 31, 2010 at 7:44 pm

AMAZING! I’ve often thought about joining TNT (and to be honest I have a reason I should) but haven’t made the commitment yet. I’m doing the Philly half in November and am not sure I have a full in me again but I applaud those who do! Congrats and good luck!! Can’t wait to hear about all of the goodies you’ll be eating since you’ll need the calories ;)

5 qudz104 August 31, 2010 at 7:08 pm

i wish you the best of luck!!! its an amazing thing youre doing, for cancer research and for yourself!

6 Veronica August 31, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Way to go, girl! I ran a halfer with TNT in 2008 for the Oklahoma Memorial Marathon and ended up raising $4,000, which was a lot more than my goal but originally my hubbie was going to do it with me. His knees gave out during the training so I did it alone and it was such a blast–there is no feeling like that you have when you finish. Not only did you push your body to the limit, but you raised money to cure cancer at the same time! Our balance in pretty close to $0 right now b/c we just paid all the bills but if we have any extra next week, I will be back to donate. Good luck!