from the archives: perfect roast chicken

by Patricia on May 18, 2010 · 12 comments

I started reading The Lightning Thief last week, and now I am a little obsessed. Okay, maybe a lot obsessed. I’ve already blown through the first 2 Percy Jackson books and am halfway through the third book. At this rate I will be done with the entire series by Friday. Or maybe tomorrow. (should I be embarrassed that I’m addicted to kids’ fantasy books?)

I have trouble putting books down sometimes even though I know I have other things to do. You know, things like laundry, eating, and sharing recipes with you. So while I finish reading The Titan’s Curse, you should check out the perfect roast chicken. I posted it about a year ago and it is an all-time favorite of mine. When did my blog get old enough that I can pull things “from the archives”? Crazy.

And don’t forget the best part about making roast chicken: having chicken salad the next day.

What are you reading these days?

I am making my summer reading list and need some recommendations.

1 luca July 9, 2010 at 9:28 pm

i read a really good autobiography called the circuit i <3 it!!! also twilight

2 megan July 7, 2010 at 12:02 pm

oooh, I always like book recommendations. I recently read The Help and loved it. Also like The Other Boleyn Girl and that series. My favorite book ever is the Count of Monte Cristo. Pillars of the Earth is another good one. And anything by Francine Rivers. Happy Reading :)

3 Ariel June 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I think your blog is great! I think so many people can relate to the concept of someone with a major sweet tooth trying to make healthier choices.

4 Olinda May 31, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Now I don’t feel so bad reading the Percy Jackson books! My son was insisting that I read them. I’ve finished the first 2 books.

Other books that I have read recently: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and The Kind Diet. I just started Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.

Just found your blog from linkedIn updates. Didn’t know you were such a sugar addict/foodie! For me, it’s ice cream and anything coffee and chocolate. I always have room for ice cream. Unfortunately, after hitting 40, can’t eat like I use to.

I hope all is going well.

5 Mrs. L May 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I keep running into roast chicken recipes today which means I need to pick up a chicken to roast tonight!

Currently reading What We Eat When We Eat Alone by Deborah Madison. I know you posted about that a bit a ago, didn’t know if it was because you read the book or not. I found the whole thing fascinating (and I’m not like any of those folks, I tend to not really cook when I’m alone).

6 Cristina May 27, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I strongly recommend The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I LOVED it! I wrote a book profile for the Amulet of Samarkand – the first book of the trilogy – on bookdrum.com. Have a llok and see if you might like it.
Other books I like are the Graveyard Book and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman – but you probably already know about those ones. I haven’t read the Percy Jackson trilogy, thanks for the tip!

About roast chicken: I roast it the same way you do, but I add sage, too. And sometimes instead of lemon I use an orange, and also squeeze some of its juice on the bird. It caramelises nicely and is not as tart as lemon – I love it!

7 Maria May 19, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’ve never roasted a chicken before. I guess it is something everyone should know how to do though!

8 Cindy May 19, 2010 at 6:11 am

I loved the Percy Jackson series and read all 5 books in about 10 days – I’m 32, so please don’t feel bad about loving a “kids” series – a good story is a good story. I’m currently reading Anthony Bourdain’s “The Nasty Bits”. He’s always a good read for food lovers!

9 Melissa May 19, 2010 at 3:18 am

Right now I am reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Hard to put down as well.

10 Anna May 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only one who guiltily indulges in kid’s books! At the moment I’m actually reading something more age-appropriate: The Odyssey, but that might change when I go to the library. (Who knows, maybe I’ll get addicted to the Lightning Thief, too!).

11 SET May 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I have really enjoyed the few books by Sarah Addison Allen. Magical realism books for adults…

“The Sugar Queen”
“Garden Spells”
and the latest “The Girl Who Chased the Moon”

Candy, cakes, magic… what more can you ask for? :)

12 Eliana May 18, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Love, love, love this chicken preparation. Thanks so much for pulling it out of the archives.