national bbq month

by Patricia on May 13, 2010 · 8 comments

Did you know that May is National BBQ Month? How did no one tell me sooner? I just found out a couple of days ago and at first I was devastated. Me. Lover of all things barbecued. Has missed half of the month devoted to said love.

Then I remembered: May is just the beginning of BBQ season. No matter what the Hearth, Patio, and Barbecue Association says. Why do we need to be limited to just a month?

Before we go any further, I feel you should know a few things about me and my relationship to bbq:

1. I am from Georgia which to some simply means that I am a peach or maybe a belle. What it really means is that I dream of bbq, specifically pork (pulled, chopped, ribs, you-name-it), slow-smoked and soaked in a tangy-sweet or possibly vinegar-based sauce served with cole slaw on the side (not on top like in North Carolina, though that’s pretty good too). In college, my friends and I would escape the computer lab on days when Sonny’s had their all-you-can-eat special. We’d roll in there around 4pm and put away so many plates of chopped pork (which we lovingly called “heavy P”) that we’d roll out of there like Violet Beauregarde although you probably wouldn’t have wanted to squeeze any of us (just saying).
  2. I lived in Texas for 5 years during my formative years so sometimes my dreams also include beef brisket and smoked sausages. And sometimes I like my BBQ sauce with a little more heat. (And maybe sometimes I get picky about my chili but that’s for another post).
  3. My mom is Korean. My dad was a tall, lanky white guy. This makes me half or hapa if you’re in Hawaii (I wish I was in Hawaii). Anyway, so yeah, there’s always room for a little bulgogi or kalbi (aka Korean BBQ) on the table. Always. In fact, when I was a kid, it was not unusual to find bulgogi, kimchi and rice alongside some American staple like, say, turkey and pumpkin pie. Those were my favorite Thanksgivings.
  4. After living in California for more than 7 years, I completely embrace the beauty that is tri-tip even though I don’t really know what cut of meat it is, because they don’t cut it that way in Georgia or Texas… at least they didn’t when I lived there.

So if you add all that up, what do you get? An equal opportunity BBQ lover. Yes, sir. Something for everyone and everything for me.

Now I feel like I need to do a BBQ series. If for no other reason than I need to eat some BBQ. Old favorites, learning to make some new favorites… I’m giddy thinking of the possiblities…

• Korean BBQ (kalbi)
  • tri tip
  • brisket
  • pork ribs
  • sauces
  • rubs!
  • And, of course, sides. You can’t have a proper BBQ of any kind without sides. (heck, sides could almost be their own series)

Anyway, what do you think? Are you up for some bbq this summer? Fire + meat = good, mm’kay?

P.S. You should try this bbq chicken. You won’t regret it.

1 Melissa May 14, 2010 at 4:04 am

MMMM, I love pulled pork. There is a place out here in Indy called King Rib. You cannot drive by the place without your mouth beginning to water, especially when the smokers are going out back! Your pulled pork sandwich is served to you in a small styro-foam container, with a fork, it’s just to juicy to pick up and eat with your hands. They have 2 sauces, hot and mild. I like to get my sandwich with a nice combo of both.

Of course they have ribs and chicken too which are just as tasty, but I am partial to the pulled pork.

2 Patricia May 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

All this talk of pulled pork is making me hungry! I think I may have to find some kind of bbq today for lunch.

3 Heather May 14, 2010 at 7:52 am

Yum, BBQ! Yet you pick Sonny’s of all places, though the all-you-can-eat was pretty kiler. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place, but I loved the BBQ joint on Atlanta Hwy right before you got out of town. It was the last place on the right before the long stretch into Bogart. The best BBQ comes from buildings that look like they should be condemned, or roadside stands. Now I want BBQ. I make a mean pulled pork and guess who has a couple shoulder roasts in the freezer?

God I miss Athens.

4 Heather May 14, 2010 at 7:53 am

Correction – killer. I can spell, really.

5 Patricia May 14, 2010 at 8:13 am

Athens is a special place, forever and ever, Amen.

Yes, Sonny’s… I think with all the guys from class it mattered more about quantity than quality, but Sonny’s wasn’t bad just not the best place in town (and a heck of a lot better than I can get out here). I totally agree that the best stuff comes from places you think look like abandoned shacks (only the tell-tale smoke giving them away).

I’d love to get your pulled pork recipe! I’ve never made it myself and have wanted to for a long time now :)

6 Heather May 14, 2010 at 9:28 am

Indeed it is.

My recipe is so simple it’s kind of embarassing, but oh well, here ya go for the whole wide world to see:

~3 lb Boston butt or shoulder blade roast (Same thing, watch this though. If you get a shoulder arm roast it won’t shred right.)
Dry BBQ spice (I just get the premixed stuff from the store, cause I’m lazy)
BBQ sauce of choice (I usually get something vinegar based but whatever works for you works.)

- Trim visible fat from roast, mainly the big slab on top.
- Coat with dry rub (get messy, it’s fun!)
- Pop in gallon zipper bag and leave in fridge at least over night.
- Cook in 6 quart crockpot on low for ~8 hours. (Yeah I know, it’s not smoked but it works!)
- Remove roast from crockpot onto big plate and drain liquid out of crockpot.
- Shred and separate meat from bone and fat, toss the meat back in the crockpot.
- Pour about 1/2 cup sauce in and mix. Let cook on low for another 30 mins. (You don’t have to do this part and I don’t if I know people will eat it that don’t like the vinegar sauce.)

That’s it. I’ll blame the crockpot, vinegar sauce, and the fact I eat my slaw on the sandwich on the fact I’m orginally from MD and grew up in GA. So I just picked up a bunch of stuff traveling inbetween the two! ;)

7 Eliana May 14, 2010 at 9:40 am

I’m right there with ya sista. I’ve been met any BBQ I have never liked. So happy national BBQ month to you! This weekend, I will be BBQing wings. Can’t wait.

8 Christine May 14, 2010 at 10:00 am

Just saw this on The Bitten Word. A white bbq sauce. Looks interesting! http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/