Behold: an apple. It is good for you (vitamins, fiber, blahblahblah), and it tastes good to boot. What could be better?
Cheese, that’s what. Melted, gooey, cheddar cheese.
When I moved to California 7 years ago, I stumbled upon a little crepery called Crepes a Go Go. I didn’t feel like chocolate that day (wait, what?) and being a crepe novice, I wasn’t sure about the savory options. And then I saw something that piqued my interest: granny smith apple and cheddar cheese crepe.
Oh my goodness, more please! Thank you.
That is still my favorite crepe combination ever. (Well, one of my favorites anyway). The problem with it though is that they really pile on the cheese. Mmmm… I mean, um, that’s not good.
But thankfully there is a lighter, almost-crepe alternative that plays with the same flavors. I recently picked up Ellie Krieger’s newest cookbook So Easy, and in its pages found this quesadilla. Cheddar cheese, crispy apple, quick, easy… what more do you want?
Cheddar Apple Quesadilla
(adapted from Ellie Krieger’s So Easy)
A granny smith apple with its tarty pucker is perfect in this quesadilla but any crisp apple will do. I used a fuji for the one in the photo.
Serves 1, but you’ll have half (or more) of an apple left so you could easily double or quadruple this (the original recipe serves 4). But I’m happy to make 1 and eat the rest of the apple as a snack or side.
1/4 of medium apple, cored and sliced thin (use up to 1/2 the apple if its small)
1 whole wheat tortilla (about 9-inch diameter)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Fan out the apple slices over the bottom half of the tortilla and top with cheddar cheese (or put half of the cheese down, then fan out the apples and top with the remaining cheese… I find that gives better cheese coverage).
- Fold tortilla in half and place on the skillet, weighing it down with another smaller skillet or ovenproof plate. Cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Cut in half and eat warm.
- 1 quesadilla = 1 serving.
- Each serving has 280 calories, 12g fat, 10g protein, 3g fiber, 29g carb
- Excellent source of calcium and protein. Good source of fiber and phosphorus.
- 1 ounce of shredded cheese is more than I thought. Score!
You may also enjoy:
- Gluten Free Girl’s review of Ellie Krieger’s So Easy