full circle

by Patricia on January 6, 2010 · 7 comments

garden3

I learned recently that there is a small farm about 4 miles from my apartment. In some places this might be normal, but I live smack in the middle of Silicon Valley. We’ve got suburbs and box stores galore, but other than a one acre corn field about 10 miles from here I had no idea there was any sort of farm nearby.

Full Circle Farm is an 11-acre sustainable, educational farm nestled in the heart of Silicon Valley.

It’s a really cool idea: they’ve leased land from the school district to create a fully organic working farm. They have an educational garden where the sixth graders from the local middle school learn about organic gardening and some of the produce from the farm even ends up in the school cafeteria. I believe we need a lot more of these.

garden2 garden1

The garden is maintained mostly by volunteers. And so today I volunteered. I blocked out 2 hours and headed over. I started the morning picking broccoli and deflowering it (as in picking off flowers so that the plant doesn’t decide to end its production cycle… what did you think I meant? tsk, tsk.).

garden4 garden5

I spent the rest of the morning planting a bajillion cauliflower plants. Well, maybe it was only 30. I got my hands in the dirt. I was outside in the sun. And I helped out on a project I believe in. I can’t think of a better way to spend my morning.

garden6

You’re supposed to get dirty when you’re in the garden, right?

1 Veronica January 7, 2010 at 6:44 pm

That is so awesome. So where does the produce that doesn’t go to the cafeteria go? Is it sold? I’m so jealous that you have sunshine and are planting things in January. It is below zero in Kansas right now and our dog insists on at least a 30 minute walk every night. Brrrr.

2 Patricia January 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

They have a CSA and a farm stand for the rest of the produce from the farm. They have a limited number of spots in their CSA so I’m not part of it (yet?). Also, volunteers in the garden are supposed to get to take some veggies home though I don’t think there is much to take home right now :)

3 Kirstin January 7, 2010 at 7:14 am

Aww, I’m so jealous! I love gardening. I’m glad you had such a good time!

4 Lori January 7, 2010 at 4:50 am

That is fantastic! What a great farm and projects! I grew up with gardening all my life, but have only just begun to understand its value and importance as an adult. It is so important for kids to witness that and get out and get their hands dirty.

5 Rachel Cotterill January 7, 2010 at 4:49 am

Fantastic! I love that it’s there, I love that you found it, and I love that you decided to help out :)

6 Brit Hammer January 7, 2010 at 2:02 am

Absolutely fantastic! I’d like to find a farm like this nearby where I live, too. Thanks for sharing the story!! :-)

7 Daily Spud January 7, 2010 at 12:48 am

How very cool! I used to live in Sunnyvale many years ago and, you’re right, it’s about the last place I’d expect to find a farm. Great to hear that such a place exists.