Ten in ’10

by Patricia on January 2, 2010 · 17 comments

running-medals

I used to be a runner. I was never really competitive, but I did run in several races through the years, everything from 5Ks to a marathon. My favorite distance was the half marathon, because it didn’t require the insane commitment to training that a full marathon requires but it’s still a challenge. In my de-cluttering efforts I recently ran across a stack of old race bibs and finisher’s medals… including a ribbon for 2nd place in my age group for one 10K.

Between work and life and countless excuses (at the heart of which is pure, unadulterated laziness), I stopped being a runner in 2005. And I gained weight. Then at the end of 2006 I started running again and by early 2007 I was a runner. I make a distinction because to me a runner is someone who needs to run like we all need to breathe. I had lost most of the weight I gained in 2005, I fit into cute clothes, and I was healthy.

And then later in 2007, the same obstacles and excuses took over again. I gained weight, but this time it was close to 25 pounds instead of 10-15 (some might look at my blog and say that it’s no wonder given all of the cookies and cakes, but really I had already gained most of the weight before I started baking for the blog… the biggest contributing factor to the weight gain was stress in my opinion). And I stopped running. While I’ve tried to get back into shape a few times in the last 2 years, somehow no exercise routine has stuck. But now I am fed up. I tried on a pair of capris today that mostly fit but created a jiggly muffin top. Where did that come from?? I love butter, but I hate butter-belly.

Anyway, as I mentioned recently, I’m joining the Ten in ’10 challenge. And today is the official kick-off. Woohoo.

I’ve started walking daily. Granted, it’s only day 2 of the new year. But it’s more than I was doing at the end of 2009. I’ve also done some yoga. As for my overall plan, I want to start running to be a runner again. But I need to ease into it (I’ve tried a few times and over-did it too soon and wound up injured for weeks…. hips and shins. Why do we have to get older?). The specific running goal for the 10in10 challenge is to train for a 10K, which means I need to pick a 10K to run in the March-April time frame (Maybe this one in Napa? I can think of few rewards better than wine tasting and dinner in Napa).

I believe everything else will follow if I can get over the hump with my running… The last couple of years, running has been a chore. But when I was a runner, I craved it… I needed to get onto the trails and I loved to run up the hills (the thought of running up hills right now makes me want to take a nap). I also ate healthier foods and my weight managed itself. So I just need to find my runner’s high again. The problem is that getting to that point is an uphill battle — I am going to have to force myself to run when I don’t want to (and I am very stubborn). Does knowing this make the battle easier? No, not really.

Anyway, I’m headed back into the kitchen tomorrow to make something tasty and healthy.

What do you do to battle butter-belly?

1 Mrs. L January 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm

“I love butter, but I hate butter-belly”. Okay that had me cracking up and may be my new motto! Here’s to all of us getting healthy in 2010 (but still having butter now and then).

2 Lori January 5, 2010 at 6:28 am

Best wishes for your 2010 goals! You’ll do great and fall into your old runner self in no time. I’m running my first half in March. I’m going to give it a try to find out if I like that distance or if I’m more cut out for the occasional 5 and 10K. Happy New Year!

3 Patricia January 6, 2010 at 8:58 am

Thanks Lori. Good luck with your half, you’re going to do great! I always preferred the half and 10K because I never felt fast enough to have a good 5K time… but I enjoyed the 5Ks I did too when I could remember it isn’t always about having a fast time. As long as you’re having fun, it’s all good.

4 Jen January 5, 2010 at 5:54 am

hi! :)
we have the same goal basically and have had issues with the same things too. nice to meet ya in this challenge, you can do it!

5 Patricia January 6, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hi Jen,

Nice to meet you too :) We can both do it, go us!

6 Katie @ goodLife {eats} January 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Good luck in the challenge! I am participating as well. I used to be a swimmer, but I no longer have time for that. My main goal is to get back to exercising, even if it’s only 20 minutes a day, it’s better than the nothing I was doing before.

7 Patricia January 6, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hi Katie,
I think small changes are best because they’re more likely to stick. And something is always better than nothing :)

Good luck with your goals!

8 Beth January 4, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Love this post. I, too, was a runner in my recent past and am determined to get back to it in 2010. 2009 was my worst running year on record, and even though I squeaked through a half marathon (also my favorite distance, it’s the best!!) in November, it was “off the couch,” my time was horrible, and I felt awful. I used to NEED to run and I’m excited (and motivated) to get back to that this Spring. I’m looking for a 10k as well for the Spring to get moving – sorry you don’t live in NYC so that we could motivate each other!

Also, I’m blaming my 15lbs on my blog, but that’s just me. Hehe.

9 Patricia January 6, 2010 at 8:39 am

Hey Beth,
I’ve done the off-the-couch race before but now that I’m in my 30s, my legs don’t really like it when I push that hard without training (I’ve injured myself a couple times trying to get back to my old distances too soon). But this year is different! We’re both going to get back out there… and even if we’re not in the same location, we can at least e-motivate each other :)

Good Luck!

10 Jim-49 January 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Dana is right!! I have cooked many years,and my daughters,ask how you don’t gain weight,daddy aren’t you going to eat?? I taste of the food,maybe 2-3 teaspoons per item,as cooking,and if I cook for 30 minutes,is over.I go up and down,about 3-4 lbs. all the time.As far as running Patricia,I never would run track in school,I worked all the time,but I could out run all the track team,except on boy and a girl(these were two who left school and went to school running,and broke their own state records,several times each).I would drive the bus to all competions,and fill in if they needed me.I was fun,and as far as track teams,we had a great time,and won many.Thanks for the memories,and I do mean memories.I only got 2 grandkids,who even come close to out running me,at 60 years.Taste along,and sit as others eat,it works!!!

11 Patricia January 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

Thanks for the tips Jim. :)

12 Dana January 3, 2010 at 7:11 am

Here is a BIG secret- because I am a huge lover of all foods. The first bite of anything you eat is ALWAYS the most satisfying. Every bite afterward becomes less and less enjoyable. If you don’t believe me, get a big bowl of ice cream in front of you and by the time you get towards the end, you feel obligated to finish, but not because you enjoy it. :D That was a big one for me, because I love ALL foods, especially sweets- which brought me to following your blog!

13 Patricia January 3, 2010 at 10:17 am

That’s a great tip. I am able to use it when I eat chocolate believe it or not… at least *good* chocolate. I have a few dark chocolate bars that I’ll eat 1-2 squares from as a treat. But somehow, I haven’t been able to apply this principle to things covered in cheese or bread with butter…

14 Brit Hammer January 3, 2010 at 3:26 am

I’ve been thinking about that Q, too. Time for me to get off the couch and to put on my sneaks & get out there. I’m not much of a runner (my longest run w/o stopping was 4K…and I was angry at the time), but I love speed-walking. Time to get back to it. So if you’re gonna do it, so will I. Thanks for the nudge. :-)

15 Patricia January 3, 2010 at 10:14 am

Anger is great fuel for running. The last time I was a runner, I ran because I was pissed off at my ex who just dumped me then wouldn’t leave me alone. But really, I’d rather not be angry :) I’m trying to focus on being healthy and happy and let that be the motivation this time (hopefully that will be enough to peel me off of the sofa).