peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

by Patricia on December 6, 2009 · 23 comments

12 days of cookies: peanut butter chocolate chip

Have you made yesterday’s macaroons yet? They are seriously good. I almost made more today because the idea of sharing made me uncomfortable… The recipe made 12 and I ate 6 of them between last night (in the name of quality control) and this morning (for breakfast, of course). Even so, the idea of sharing the other 6… well… they weren’t even gone yet and I was already having withdrawals.

Still on my coconut high, I thought, what could possibly be the next cookie?… what can follow perfection? And so today I am pulling out the big guns: peanut butter + chocolate. A match so perfect it was made in hell, because frankly, it’s a little too good to be from heaven, if you know what I mean.

So for Day 7, I used this peanut butter cookie recipe which I saw on Smitten Kitchen. And now I have to add the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook (which is where the recipe is from originally) to my wishlist. If the rest of the recipes are anything like this one, I am seriously going to need to invest in elastic waist pants.

Now…. this may surprise you, since I am so easily swayed by sweets calling out to me and cravings taking on their own personalities and other crazy stuff like that, but I don’t normally eat cookie dough; maybe a tiny nibble here and there as I clean off the beater or spatula, but beyond that I usually don’t find cookie dough all that enticing. But this cookie dough… I ate more of this cookie dough than ought to be legal. I seriously have a problem.

Tomorrow I am going to strap on my running shoes and haul my peanut butter belly up and down some hills. Then I am going to deliver the rest of these cookies to someone in order to save myself.

12 days of cookies: peanut butter chocolate chip

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

(adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who originally adapted it from Magnolia Bakery Cookbook)

If you make these, be prepared to hide them from yourself. Better yet, be generous and send them away with someone else… otherwise, you may eat each and every one of them. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Makes about 3 dozen.

1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  3. Beat the butter and peanut butter until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in chocolate and peanut butter chips.
  4. Place sprinkling sugar on a plate. Drop dough by rounded teaspoon into sugar and roll around, then put onto ungreased cookie sheet, leaving several inches between them for expansion.
  5. Using a fork lightly indent the top of each cookie (or use a small offset spatula if you want a smooth top), but don’t over-flatten.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake (cookies will look underdone, but they are not).
  7. Cool the cookies on the sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

1 Daily Spud December 7, 2009 at 4:06 am

I realise that you’ve warned me, but I’m going to make some of these anyway :)

2 Patricia December 7, 2009 at 4:13 pm

As long as you don’t hold me accountable for the number of cookies you eat, we’re good :)

3 megan December 7, 2009 at 10:37 am

I’m having a great time looking through your 12 days of cookies. It’s so funny that we can be doing something so similar, and so far only have 1 overlapped cookie! :)

these look great. I missed them on SK somehow. definitely bookmarking :)

4 Patricia December 7, 2009 at 4:16 pm

hi megan,

That is funny that so far we’ve only overlapped one cookies… but then there are so many cookies out there. Your biscotti and fudge-kiss cookies look divine!

5 Rebecca December 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I love your humor and taste in cookies! I just went for a run, so I think I know what I’ll be making soon! Your site is great!

6 bob December 8, 2009 at 6:48 am

Oh God. Must try these. Only probelm is i can’t get hold of peanut butter chips.

7 Patricia December 14, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Hmm. Maybe a peanut butter candy like Reese’s pieces would work? It might be a little different but still good..

8 Karly December 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Noooo! I can’t handle another cookie recipe! I am going to BURST!

Oh, who am I kidding? I love cookies. I’m off to the store to buy peanut butter chips.

9 Patricia December 14, 2009 at 12:16 pm

You’re going to burst? Haha. How about me? :) Okay, okay. I brought it on myself declaring 12 days of cookies (even if it is taking me 15 days to get through all 12).

10 Maria December 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I love how your cookies sparkle!

11 Patricia December 14, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Thanks :) I like the organic cane sugar because it has bigger sparkly crystals (but not quite as big as sugar in the raw).

12 Butters December 10, 2009 at 5:20 pm

I am the confessed cookie monster of my house. Last weekend I produced round 1 of Cookie Fest ’09- molasses cookies, chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, snickerdoodles, and the two experiments- one followed the standard chocolate chip recipe but instead of chips I used peanut butter M&Ms (crushed with a rolling pin), and chopped up bits of peanut butter cups and reese’s peanut sticks (we call them Garbage Pails); the other experiment was similar to this- peanut butter with milk chocolate chips and reese’s pieces (also crushed with the rolling pin).

This Saturday, I’ll be making sugar cookies, more peanut butter, possibly more chocolate chips, your lemon butter cookies- thanks for the tip on browning the edges!

My own tip for any cookie that you’re dipping in sugar, or sprinkling with sugar is to use Sugar in the Raw- the crystals are bigger and therefore more visible, and have more flavor. I also go for broke on the recipes that call for shortening- forget that healthier(?) trans-fat free veggie shortening, and use the cheap junk made from animal fat and vegetable fat together.

13 Patricia December 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Wow. You win :) Haha. That is a lot of cookies. I am picturing you in a house with cookies floor to ceiling and puffs of flour coming from the kitchen.

14 Kristi December 11, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Did you use real peanut butter or Jiffy?

15 Patricia December 11, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Hey Kristi,
You could use either. If you use natural (“real”) peanut butter, make sure it is salted — I think unsalted would make a bland cookie, though I suppose you could increase the salt in the recipe to compensate. I’m just not sure by how much :)

16 Butters December 12, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Can you use that natural peanut butter for cookies? I never tried it, since I figured the oil would separate.

17 Patricia December 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I’ve used natural peanut butter for cookies. You just have to stir it before using it if the oil separated. I’ve even made peanut butter in the food processor using honey roasted peanuts and then made cookies from that. Talk about yum…

18 jami February 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

These look great. I’m trying some of them with the mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s. What could be bad? Just FYI, I don’t think you included the egg in the recipe – it’s in the ingredients list, but you don’t add it anywhere.

19 Patricia February 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm

hey jami!
Good catch. I’ve update the recipe to include the egg (oops). Thanks! I don’t think anything could be bad about using peanut butter cups :)

20 Fran@fransfavs.com December 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm