black friday

by Patricia on November 27, 2009 · 6 comments

ritz3
Peek-a-boo. After a few days away, this evening I was back in the kitchen making pie crusts for our belated Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. By the way, I found leaf lard! (and there was much rejoicing).

I’m making three pies for tomorrow’s dinner and using the pie crust recipe from Alton Brown since that was the one that we liked best in the crust test. But this time using leaf lard instead of the Mexican lard. I’m still trying to decide what flavor pies to make… definitely one pumpkin and definitely one cranberry-apple, but the third one… I keep waffling between a second cranberry-apple or pecan. Or something entirely different like Asian pears with a little ginger or vanilla bean.

Anyway, I think I will be calling an audible tomorrow. I’ve also considered baking a cake just in case someone doesn’t like pie (who doesn’t like pie?). But even for 15+ people, I think three pies plus a cake might be a little excessive. Maybe. Then again, what is Thanksgiving without a second helping of pie?

As for Black Friday, did you go shopping? I didn’t. There are very few things that compel me to get up before 7am, but I did hear some people talking about getting up at 5am this morning to hit the sales. They seemed happy about it, so I guess that’s good. You should do what makes you happy… it makes me happy to sleep in.

P.S Only three days left of NaBloPoMo!

1 Alison December 6, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I love that wallpaper!

2 Beth November 28, 2009 at 8:54 pm

No Black Friday shopping for me, I also enjoy sleeping in! A couple of friends were out all hours though, and said it was more than worth it to them. Six hours at Toys R Us, four of those hours spent standing in lines, seems a little loco to me! But, as you said, to each his own.
Wish I could try your pies. Your food is so photogenic I imagine it must taste scrumptious. :)

3 Beth November 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Congrats on NoBloPoMo! You’ve done a terrific job!
I smiled at your Monty Python quote…

4 Charles Thompson November 28, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Got it! Followed your lard link and read about leaf lard there. New info for me. Will try it on a pie crust myself. Thanks!

5 Charles Thompson November 28, 2009 at 5:51 pm

So what is leaf lard? Love to learn new things. Happy belated Thanksgiving and congrats on getting through all of NaBloPoMo! So great.

6 linda November 28, 2009 at 8:10 am

I did go out to the local mall and electronic stores around 8am, which is early but still not early enough to get the real bargains. There were lots of bargains, but since I was alone shopping, I could only buy and carry so much. After about an hour, I decided I had enough and went thrifting. I ‘ve decided it’s a lot more fun to buy used than new.