pie in a jar

by Patricia on November 21, 2009 · 12 comments

What did I put in those jars?… Pie! That’s right, pie.

pie in a jar

Several months ago, I was browsing Not Martha when I came across these tiny pies baked in tiny jars. Megan (Not Martha) used tiny jelly jars (4 ounce size) for her pies. I was so excited I went out and bought two dozen of the tiny jelly jars. They are so small and cute, I want to put everything in them. But I didn’t make pie. It wasn’t time. And the jars sat there.

pie in a jar pie in a jar pie in a jar pie in a jar

Then, a couple weeks ago, I was catching up on Craft:, when again I saw pies in little jars, this time from Our Best Bites. Sara used the more substantial half-pint sized jars for her pies. After a short deliberation, I decided that would be a better size to work with because 1. you get more pie per jar, 2. smaller jars would be (potentially) more tedious to fill, and 3. you get more pie per jar. So I went out and bought some wide-mouth half-pint jars. But it still wasn’t time for pie. And the jars sat there.

pie in a jar

Finally, last week it was time to bake pie. My pie crust trials left me with a bunch of extra dough. Awkward half portions that would only be good for mini-pies, or some sort of Frankenstein crust made of bits from each batch. So I grabbed the half-pint jars and made six mini-pumpkin pies and two pear-ginger (an experiment). And into my freezer they went, ready to combat pie emergencies at a moment’s notice.

Seriously, who doesn’t want a freezer full of single-serve homemade pies?

If like me, you decide you can’t live without tiny jar-pies, Our Best Bites has a great step-by-step how to (with pictures). And here are a few things I learned with my first batch:

• any pie crust will do (probably even store bought)
  • any filling will do (at least any filling you normally bake)
  • you don’t have to roll out the bottom crust, you can just mush it into the jars
  • Megan (Not Martha) may be onto something with the 4 ounce jars… at least in terms of portion control…
  • yay pie!

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 jlo November 21, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Now that is a great idea! Love it…I can imagine it would be great at Thanksgiving.

2 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:05 am

I didn’t really think about serving little pies at Thanksgiving, but that would be fun. Hmm… something to consider.

3 Dana November 22, 2009 at 1:10 pm

what was the cook time? they look darling and i would love love love to make pecan ones this TurkeyDay!!

4 Patricia November 23, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I baked mine at 425 for 15 minutes and then reduced the temp to 350 and baked them for about 30 minutes more, checking them every 10 minutes. I was following a pumpkin pie recipe (as far as temps anyway)… and they started out frozen.

5 Michelle November 22, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I’d LOVE a freezer full of these! Adorable!

6 Veronica November 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I think this is a great idea to add to gift baskets! Honestly, I wasn’t interested at all when I glimpsed it on Our Best Bites, but you turned me around. I’m making lots of goodies for Christmas and I’ll have to add these to the list!

7 Kristi November 22, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Love this idea!! How long do you think they keep in the freezer?

8 Patricia November 23, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I don’t know for sure but I would guess a few months anyway. According to this site (http://www.allfoodbusiness.com/freezer_storage.php), a pumkin (and chiffon) pies keeps for about 1 month in the freezer, and unbaked fruit pies for up to 8 months.

9 Daniel November 23, 2009 at 9:04 am

I love this idea! I am going to make these ASAP! I love how rustic the resulting pie looks. Also, us Southerners always have those jelly jars laying around!!!

10 Piccolo Cuoco October 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hi Patricia, thank you so much for sharing. I have pubblished a post about creating small and cute apple pies in a jar for Kids, this is the link if you want to see it: http://www.piccolocuoco.com/2011/10/19-tortine-di-mele-per-bambini-in_19.html?showComment=1319038587474#c7499098445572312776 – it’s in Italian; I wanted to create a trackback link to your site but it seems i’m not capable :-/

11 sabrina July 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Hi, these look great, can I make these and then while still hot, put the lids on to seal them. Wondering if they would keep unrefrigerated for gift baskets for christmas?