applesauce

by Patricia on November 19, 2009 · 12 comments

apple-peels

I fought the law and the law won… Er, actually I fought the big bowl of apples and I won. I made homemade applesauce.

applesauce

When I was little, my grandmother made her own applesauce. I remember sitting at the kitchen table eating it warm while she put the rest aside. Unfortunately I do not have her recipe, but luckily, applesauce is universal (and simple). I have used a recipe from the Joy of Cooking once several years ago and it was good. Then today, I used the applesauce recipe from Simply Recipes as a guideline, but did make a couple of small adjustments.

I used a mix of apples: Granny Smith, fuji, braeburn, and a mystery variety. All are good apples for cooking (firm, crisp, on the tart side). I used very little sugar because the apples didn’t need it (and I also have plans for this applesauce that requires it to be not very sweet).

applesauce-jars2

Applesauce

Be sure to have some while it’s still warm, and share it with someone you love.

3-4 pounds apples (Granny Smith, braeburn, fuji, etc), peeled, cored and sliced (quarters or sixths)
4 strips of lemon peel
juice of 1 lemon [ I used a meyer lemon which added a nice hint of floral to the applesauce]
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Put water, lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon stick into a large pot. As you peel and slice the apples, put the apple sections into the pot and toss in the lemon-water to prevent browning.
  2. Cover pot and heat to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes (mine took 30 minutes).
  3. Mash with a potato masher.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kristen November 19, 2009 at 7:34 pm

My grandma made applesauce too, I forgot how tasty the warm fresh sauce was. Can’t wait to see what you have planned for your sauce!

2 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:10 am

I forgot how easy it is to make applesauce. I have no excuse now… as long as apples are in season, I’ll be making applesauce and freezing some extra for later.

3 Brit Hammer November 20, 2009 at 1:26 am

:-)

4 Melissa November 20, 2009 at 3:49 am

I love homemade applesauce too! I prefer mine with alot of cinnamon (probably too much for most people). I will be canning some apple butter this weekend. It is only the beginning of our pre-Thanksgiving prep. I am on dessert duty this year. Yum!

5 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:12 am

I like mine light on the cinnamon, but homemade is the way to go either way. I bought about ten pounds of apples and used half for the applesauce and the rest for apple butter that I canned earlier this week.
What are you making for dessert this Thanksgiving? I’m on dessert duty too. I’ll be making 2-3 pies… but then I woke up this morning thinking about cake. And ice cream… I have a problem :)

6 Melissa November 24, 2009 at 3:21 am

I am on pie duty. I will of course be making the standard pumpkin pie. But, I make a mean peanut butter pie, it is always the first to go. One year when I made it, we forgot to get it out of the refrigerator. After a few “adult drinks” those of us still at the gathering just stood around the kitchen bar with our respective forks and ate the pie right out of the pan, we didn’t even bother to cut it into slices! Have you ever made a pistachio cake? Yummy!

7 Michael November 20, 2009 at 5:11 am

looks great!
check out my food blog and tell me what you think:

Michael

8 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:14 am

Thanks Michael.

9 Leanna November 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm

That sounds so wonderful right now. I love warm applesauce.

10 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:15 am

It’s good from the fridge, but nothing beats warm from the pot…