3am hats

by Patricia on November 18, 2009 · 10 comments

yarn

After finishing the baby hat and sweater for my friend Kristi’s baby-to-be, I couldn’t stop knitting. I broke into my stash of yarn and found some self-striping yarn I had bought last winter. I don’t remember why I bought it, aside from the fact that it is self-striping. I mean, isn’t that cool? You just knit and it makes stripes for you. It boggles my mind to think about how this works.

Since I didn’t have specific projects in mind already, I decided to make a couple of hats for Dan’s boys. Sshh… they are supposed to be Christmas presents. I enjoy knitting, it is relaxing and keeps my hands busy, but I seem to go on autopilot once I start… only to realize that all of sudden, it is 3am, and I am this close to finishing my project. Of course this means I can’t go to bed yet, I have to finish the last few rows even though my eyes are barely open. I can’t explain it. It just happens.

knit-hats

As you can see, I finished one. I think the colors are great… very boy-like. But when I started the second hat, I began to feel that maybe the blues are too girly. I can’t give a girly hat to an eight or ten year old boy. What do you think? Is it girly?

knit-hat-wip

P.S. I realized today that yesterday was my 200th post! Time flies…

1 Paula November 25, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Self-striping yarn is great, but sometimes it gives you surprises you aren’t ready for. If it was my knitting, I’d get some more yarn that I was more sure that a boy would like. (I wouldn’t have questioned the colors in the second hat, so maybe I’m completely out of touch). Happy NaBloPoMo.

2 kathy b November 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I loved to put my daughter in blue. Pink gets so boring!

3 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:27 am

I think in some ways it’s easier to blur the lines with girls.. they can get away with blues and pinks. But boys beyond a certain age… I don’t know. At 8 and 10, these guys have started to enter the “that’s not cool” stage where things they liked or did last year is suddenly taboo.

4 Kristen November 19, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Patricia, I asked my boys and their response was “can she make us some?”

The boys think the colors are fine, pink and purple are even popular “boy” colors now. My 10 yo loves purple, go figure!

I think it is very cool that you knit hats for the boys :)

5 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:24 am

Cute :) I could totally make them some.

I’ve heard Dan’s 10 year old say “Oh, pink!” all excited about some little pink accessory thing, and then at another time: “pink? why do I have to use the pink towel?” So… who knows with these boys! I think I could get away with the 2nd hat, but it might be pushing their limits.

6 Brit Hammer November 19, 2009 at 1:19 am

I know you want to use up your yarn, but why not find out what the boys’ favorite colors are and knit hats in those colors? This way you’ll know that they’ll love what they’re going to get and you’ll get even more out of it when you see them actually wear the hats. Everyone wins.

7 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:20 am

Thanks Brit. They’re favorite colors tend to be in the blues and blacks and greys, but then they like to change their minds. The first hat I know they will like. The second one… well, like I told Laurie, I may end up giving it away.

8 Laurie Berenson November 18, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I hate to say it ’cause you’ve already completed so much of it, but yeah, I do think the 2nd one isn’t as boy-ish. The blue is lighter. I love the first hat! The second one might still work – it would depend on the jacket.

9 Patricia November 22, 2009 at 9:18 am

Well, the boys mostly wear black, dark blue, and sometimes red jackets. I don’t know. I’m still on the fence about the second one. I’ll finish it and then decide… I might end up sending it to a niece or giving it away. Anyone want a kid-sized hat? :)

{ 1 trackback }