november… already?

by Patricia on November 1, 2009 · 9 comments

Happy (belated) Halloween! Between out-of-town guests, illness, and writing classes, I completely lost track of the last week+. I spent most of yesterday in a writing workshop taught by Dianne Jacob, writing coach and author of Will Write for Food.

notebook-open

It was a fun class. In total, there were six students, three with food blogs (the other two bloggers were: Joel from Six by 10 Tiny Kitchen and Danielle from Bon Vivant). It was a good group. There were brownies bite and biscotti for us to enjoy, and in an interesting twist, we had to write about one of them in class. We were given ten minutes to write a draft expressing as many senses as we could. Here is what I came up with…

A brownie is a promise; a promise to the eater of one simple moment of joy. This Two-Bite Brownie wants to keep the promise. It is small so as not to overwhelm you with decadence. The crackled top holds the hope of what’s to come: a slight chewiness?… the silkiness of chocolate lingering on the tongue?

But sometimes promises are broken. As my tooth chisels through the surface, the first bite falls in one great hunk like a shard of stone from a sculptor’s chisel. The moisture is gone from this brownie… all that was left is a burning alcohol aftertaste.

Needless to say, it wasn’t my favorite brownie but the exercise was challenging and helpful. I started another draft in the workshop that I’d like to share with you as well but that one you will have to wait until it is finished.

As for November? I have plans for November. It is going to be all about writing, exercise,… and pie. How is that for random?

1 Alto2 November 2, 2009 at 11:55 am

Hello from a fellow blogger on NaBloPoMo. I try to stop by new sites and leave comments daily.

It’s great you attended a writing workshop geared towards bloggers and food. My own food blog has gone pretty much nowhere, but my main blog is still alive after three years or so. Stop by and say hi.

2 Jenny November 2, 2009 at 10:38 am

Hi Patricia,

I found your site through the blogroll at NaBloPoMo, and I’m excited to see what you do this month! It’s a terrific challenge, and I’d love to know how Dianne’s class changes your experience this month.

Good luck this month!
Jenny

3 Patricia November 3, 2009 at 9:33 am

Hi Jenny, I’m glad you found me! I hope I can make it to the end of the month! I am trying to find a schedule that allows me enough time to focus on more than “getting a post up” so that I can apply some of the things I learned in Dianne’s class.

4 Dianne Jacob November 1, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Hey Patricia,
Thanks so much for writing about the “Food Writing for Food Lovers” class. I thought you did a super job on your “writing with the senses” exercise, particularly in creating suspense.

Look forward to reading your next draft of the other piece you started in class. Let me know when it’s up.

I learned a lot from YOU in the class about blogging. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

Dianne

5 Patricia November 3, 2009 at 9:30 am

Thanks so much Dianne. I’ll definitely let you know when the other piece is up. I was happy to share the bits I know about blogging but was a little worried maybe I was talking too much, haha (not a problem I usually have).

6 Brit Hammer November 1, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Sounds like a heaven – c’mon, writing about food AND eating? My hat is off to you! :-)

7 Patricia November 3, 2009 at 9:29 am

Thanks Brit :) As long as there is eating involved, how bad could it be, right?

8 Danielle November 1, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hi Patricia, it was great meeting you yesterday over brownies, biscottis and writing :) Beautiful site you’ve got here and I’m going to poke around a little – let’s catch up over coffee soon since we’re pretty close to each other. Have a great week ahead!

9 Patricia November 3, 2009 at 9:27 am

It was great to meet you too Danielle. We should definitely meet up for coffee sometime soon!