peer pressure

by Patricia on October 12, 2009 · 11 comments

large_glee-review
Hello, my name is Patricia and I’m a television junkie. Though I prefer to think that I’m a recovering TV junkie… well, I was recovering until last week.

I have accumulated several guilty pleasures through the years but have recently been on a television diet. A couple months ago, I could be found watching everything from The Fashion Show (the worst thing Bravo could’ve done after losing Project Runway… seriously, why?… says the dork who watched every episode) to Dancing Your Ass Off (I have this problem see… I will find myself watching something and I know I should change the channel, I know I’m losing brain mass from exposure to these crap shows, and yet… I can’t look away). These days I’ve limited my consumption to quality television like Project Runway, Top Chef, and Biggest Loser (I have to admit, it’s not so much willpower as turning cable off that helped with this… now I am limited to the networks and public television and whatever I can find online).

I have all but given up on sitcoms because as soon as I find one I like, it gets canceled, see: Pushing Daisies and Arrested Development.  So partly to save myself from disappointment and partly to save other viewers from my curse, I avoid the hot new shows. Also, I tend to run from things if they get a lot of hype (exhibit A: I still have not seen the movie Titanic). So when I started to see the crazy excitement over Glee every Wednesday on Twitter, I thought “Whatever” and ignored it.

But then, I got blindsided. The other day, I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Crazy Aunt Purl (something about her writing makes me feel like I know her… like we were friends in college or something), when I came across a landmine. She had planted a Glee bomb… a teaser clip. And as soon as I saw it, I knew it was over. I had to watch it. I feel so easily influenced.

Now, thanks to hulu, I am all caught up and eagerly awaiting the next episode this Wednesday. And here for your viewing pleasure, is the Glee-bomb that pushed me over the edge…

I’m sorry in advance if it gets canceled now that I’m watching it, but I think Glee is stronger than my curse.

1 Kim November 3, 2009 at 6:20 am

I am such a Gleek! I love that show!

2 Kate October 13, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I am so hooked on Glee! Love it.

3 Patricia October 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

For me it is the perfect combination of high school awkwardness, comedy, and musical. The musical piece pushed me over the edge for sure, but then I’m a sucker for a funny musical.

4 Julia October 13, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I thought I was the only one with the tv curse…..*sigh* Pushing Daisies, I loved it so! (You should look up some of Bryan Fuller’s other shows…Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls are great, and again ended before their time). I blame myself for Veronica Mars being canceled, I found it and started watching then 2 months later it was announced it was done. I have been watching Glee, and making the hubby join me (he secretly loves it too), so I must apologize to everyone as well, since it will definitely be canceled since it’s part of my weekly routine.

5 Patricia October 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Oh no. Maybe one of us should stop watching it… the power of our combined curses might be too much. Or maybe we should just enjoy it while it lasts :)

6 Brit Hammer October 13, 2009 at 11:52 am

Um, P, we don’t have a tv… Maybe ya wanna come hang with us???

7 Patricia October 14, 2009 at 12:45 pm

I actually went without a tv for about four years… I can’t remember now why I got one again (I was more productive without it around). It really is an addiction (and it began in childhood). Still, I’m working on it… I doubt I’ll every get to zero but I’ve made big strides in the right direction lately.

8 Heather G. October 12, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Usually I veer away from any situation (real or televised) where someone is apt to break into song at any given moment, but I too love Glee!! Hopefully the curse has been lifted. BTW, because of this episode, I had ‘Single Ladies’ stuck in my head for over a week.

9 Patricia October 13, 2009 at 9:09 am

I can’t lie, I love a musical… so Glee makes me giddy :) I *still* have ‘Single Ladies’ stuck in my head, haha.

10 Maria October 12, 2009 at 2:47 pm

We don’t watch much tv, only sports and I watch SYTYCD or Biggest Loser if I happen to be home…but we have been watching Glee! It is so funny! Even the hubs likes it:)

11 Patricia October 13, 2009 at 9:07 am

It is really funny. I’ve gotten Dan to start watching too :)