I think I’m in love.

by Patricia on September 28, 2009 · 10 comments

this photo doesn't do the cake just <em>at all</em>, but I couldn't control myself long enough to take a decent photograph

this photo doesn't do the cake justice at all, but I couldn't control myself long enough to take a decent photograph

It was Saturday night and I had just left the BlogHer Food conference.  It was a warm night in San Francisco as I walked the few short blocks to Tropisueño for the after party hosted by Elise Bauer (Simply Recipes), Jaden Hair (Steamy Kitchen), and Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman).  The party was already hopping when I arrived with Colleen from Foodie Tots and Cheese and Champagne.  Let me just say, those ladies throw one heck of a party. Really though, I only mention the party because it was there that I fell in love.  Completely. Totally.

Picture if you will, a restaurant/bar buzzing with food lovers of all shapes and sizes. Standing room only. Hors d’oeuvres of ceviche and chicken mole bites were circulating. Margaritas were flowing. By nature, I am a wallflower and mostly kept to myself. But then I looked out across the crowded room… my eyes fell upon a sea of chocolate cake cut into squares and robed in a silky ganache. I was shy at first, afraid of acting a fool.  But the come hither looks were more than I could stand.  I crossed the room hesitantly, unsure of what I was doing. What if it was dense? Or worse… dry? What if it didn’t live up to my expectations? What if I was disappointed?

Still, I made my way through the crowd to the table. I picked up a plate and a fork. I held my breath as we stepped into a corner to get better acquainted. I raised my fork and stabbed the cake taking just a thin layer from the edge. I expected more resistance. I thought for sure the cake would be thick and overly rich. But it wasn’t. My fork slid easily through the layers and I raised it to my mouth. It was at that moment I knew I could never love another chocolate cake. Oh sure, I can still see other cakes, I’m sure we’ll still have a few laughs.  But it just wouldn’t be right to lead them on and make them think we could be any more than friends, not when my heart belongs to another.

Right after that first bite, Darya from Summer Tomato found me in the corner. She had a piece of cake in hand and was looking for a place to eat it. She asked if she could join me.  I was still overwhelmed with emotion from that first bite, but managed to nod and gasp “Sorry… I’m having a moment.”  When she took her first bite, I could tell from the look on her face that she understood — she was having a moment too.

The cake was called After Midnight… Devil’s food cake layered with Scharffen-Berger dark and El Rey milk chocolate mousse. Finished with dark chocolate ganache. *sigh*

Before I knew what had happened, it was over. My cake was gone. All of a sudden, I felt empty and heartbroken. It was gone too soon.

Although its love was fleeting, I’ll remember that moment we shared forever. And luckily, I know where I can find my preciousCitizen Cake in San Francisco. I used to live a few blocks from there, and during that time I became very familiar with their cupcakes and cookies… the best chocolate chip cookie and a s’mores brownie that could soothe any post-work-stressed-out-pity-partygoer… so how did I miss the After Midnight Chocolate Cake?  Maybe it’s a new addition? Maybe Elizabeth Falkner had an epiphany after I moved out of San Francisco?  Maybe I was blind? Whatever and whenever… all I know is that now I need to make another trip up to San Francisco, and soon, to be reunited with my chocolate cake… my precious.

For a more thorough account of what actually happened at the BlogHer Food conference, take a look at these blogs:

Or check out the live blogging from the event.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Darya September 28, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Oh, and what a moment it was. I eat that cake regularly (it’s my bday cake of choice), and it never fails to blow my mind.

Big thanks to Elizabeth Faulkner and the folks at Scharffen Berger!!

xoxox

p.s. Was great to meet you!

2 Cheri September 28, 2009 at 7:25 pm

So fun to meet you at the conference. Missed you in that crowd of people at the afterparty. Love your blog. Look forward to seeing more. After reading this I am so sad I did not taste that cake!

3 Brit Hammer September 28, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Now you’ve got me itching to go back to visit San Fran. Been far too long. Have passport and eager stomach, will travel… :-)

4 Danica September 28, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Hi Patricia ~ it was great to meet you at the cocktail party. Although, now I am wishing I went to the after party too *sigh* Next year, right?! That CAKE…..wow…I need to find out how to order that for sure :)

I LOVE the concept of your blog – I think each meal should start with dessert first – even breakfast :) I look forward to chatting on twitter and poking around your blog more :)

Take care and do keep in touch,

Danica

5 Patricia September 29, 2009 at 5:15 pm

@Darya Lucky girl. I wonder if I could get one of those for my birthday next year, I mean SF isn’t *that* far… :) (great to me you too!)

@Cheri – Sorry I missed you at the party too. It was so crowded I’m surprised I found anyone I recognized. I almost didn’t have the cake either but my general rule of thumb is if there is chocolate cake, I should try at least a bite… not a bad rule, haha.

@Brit Hammer – well, if you do come to SF, let me know. I’d love to share a piece of cake (or cup of coffee) with you!

@Danica – the party was fun but a little overwhelming for the wallflower in me. I left earlier than most but it was fun to see everyone outside of the conference atmosphere. Anyway, I’m glad we met earlier in the day and I look forward to seeing you on twitter!

6 regan September 30, 2009 at 5:21 am

That cake was amazing. But then I sprinkled the sea salt on top of it and it got even better and I died from happiness.

7 linda September 30, 2009 at 11:22 am

hi patricia!
found you thru my daily read of adventures in the kitchen…& have bookmarked you! very lovely site!
can you please tell me where i can get the recipe for that totally awesome
after midnight chocolate cake ?
thanks so much…

8 Patricia September 30, 2009 at 4:51 pm

@regan – I was so laser focused on the cake I totally missed the toppings. I bet sea salt would be awesome.

@linda – welcome! I’m glad you found me. I wish I had a recipe for that cake. Unfortunately, I only know where to buy one (Citizen Cake in SF). If I do find a recipe or figure out something close, I will let you know.

9 linda September 30, 2009 at 8:02 pm

thanks :-)

10 The Mushroom Channel (Jessi) October 1, 2009 at 2:40 am

oh my goodnight…how spectacular was that CAKE??? Elizabeth Falkner is a genius. She asked if she could take home the rest of the mushrooms from our display and I practically gift wrapped them for her, knowing they could not have found a better home. Twas great to meet you and I’m glad you loved the soup!