Sour cream ice cream

by Patricia on July 9, 2009 · 10 comments

Me: I’m making sour cream ice cream to go with the pie.
Dan (face scrunched up into the “ew, yucky” face): Huh?
Me: I think it will be good with the sweetness of the pie.
Dan: I don’t know…

Honey Caramel Peach Pie with sour cream ice cream

I win. The proof is in the pudding, er, ice cream. Though it does sound a little different, this sour cream ice cream is a little tart, but also reminiscent of cheesecake. And perfect with peach pie. I imagine it would be good with other fruit pies and cobblers as well. Then again, it’s also good with a spoon.

Sour Cream Ice Cream
(adapted from Gourmet, July 2009)

1 16oz container of sour cream
1 cup half-and-half, chilled
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*equipment: ice cream maker

1. Purée all ingredients with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender until mixture is smooth and sugar is dissolved.
2. Chill until very cold (I chilled it overnight, though I think an hour or two would probably be fine).
3. Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker (according to manufacturer’s directions).
4. Transfer to an airtight container and put in the freezer to firm up, about 6 hours.
* Cream mixture can be chilled up to 24 hours.
* Ice cream can be made 3 days ahead. Let soften 20 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.

1 Barbara August 7, 2009 at 6:00 am

I made it last night. It was wonderful and our guests loved it. The slightly sour tang made it seem much more elegant than regular vanilla.

2 Kate July 14, 2009 at 1:01 am

What a great flavor to complement the apple pie! Sounds wonderful and looks even better!

3 Carol July 14, 2009 at 12:32 am

Looks so good! Sour cream sounds like a pretty interesting ingredient but I’d love some on top of peach pie! Great flavors!

4 Suzy July 13, 2009 at 6:12 pm

So glad you joined us for the social! I’ve got your recipe on the to try list for sure. I think my non-sweet eater my like this better than most.

5 Phoo-D July 13, 2009 at 2:52 am

This looks delicious! I’ve made a creme fraiche ice cream before but haven’t ventured into sour cream. I imagine it was awesome with the peach pie.

6 Suzy July 11, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Sounds deliciously different! I will have to give this a try one day. If you have the time come check out the Ice Cream Social Event I have going on at my blog this weekend. Lots of great recipes. Link yours up there if you’d like!

7 Charles Thompson July 10, 2009 at 5:06 am

Part 2 of the peach pie post! Sour cream ice cream makes total sense to me. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

8 Amanda July 10, 2009 at 1:17 am

Interesting! I bet it WAS good with that pie, mmmm :)