I hope you are having a wonderful summer Saturday wherever you are. I made some little red velvet cakelets to celebrate Independence day. I only cheated a little… I had a couple of layers in the freezer from the last time I made red velvet cake (I made extra to save). This is the first time I’ve frozen red velvet cake, but after almost two months in the freezer, it tastes fresh. Each cakelet is topped with cream cheese frosting in white and blue.
I used the smallest ring in my cutter set (similar to this one at Sur la Table) to cut the 9″ round layers into cakelets. Then using my largest star tip, I made swirlies of white. And the smallest star tip to make little blue tips.
Check out how some others are celebrating the 4th:
- Bakerella has a sweet letter from a United States Marine… plus cake pops
- 4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones on Cupcake Project
- Noble Pig offers a bevy of recipes for this fourth of July
- Fireworks in your Mouth from Salt and Chocolate
- Lots of cupcakes on Cupcakes Take the Cake
- Red, White and Blue Stars from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Fourth of July Cupcakes on 52 Cupcakes
- Military Monday on Cupcake Rehab
- Cupcake Kabobs (including a tutorial) from Merengue Bake Shop
- Red, White and Blue Chocolate Dipped Strawberries from Baking Bites