Chocolate croissants… sort of.

by Patricia on March 29, 2009 · 11 comments

So you’ve bought some puff pastry and made an apple tart, right?  What about the other sheet of puff pastry?  I mean, they come 2 to a box.  Did you make a second tart?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I thought I would share what I did with my second sheet.  First of all, I wrapped it in parchment paper and put it in a freezer bag and kept it in the freezer for a week.  And I would have left it there longer but last night it called to me.  Well, actually it was probably my stomach throwing its voice.  At first I thought I would make cheese danish (cream cheese and powdered sugar combine to make an easy filling).  But then the pound plus dark chocolate bar (the same one I used in the chocolate-chunk-cupcakes) was staring at me again.  And once again, it fit the bill.

chocolate croissant-ish

I made chocolate croissants.

Of course, they are not authentic croissants but I promise you they will satisfy (Dan’s first bite was followed by “that’s just ridiculous”.  He meant it in a good way).  And it is beyond easy.  I used to call these “turnovers” but Dan made the comparison to chocolate croissants and you know what?  He’s right.  They can totally pass for a quick croissant.  But if you are really in the mood for turnovers, try filling these with your favorite jam or fruit (with sugar and butter)… or go crazy and fill it with something savory.
chocolate croissant-ish

Chocolate “Croissants”

1. Thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry.  Roll it out and then cut it into 4 squares.  (measurements need not be precise here).

2. Chop up some chocolate that you like… approximately 2 ounces (or however much looks like enough to you)

3.  Put a little chocolate in the center of each puff pastry square and fold it into a triangle.  Fold over the edges and use a fork to crimp the edges (I found this helps create a seal)

4. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

5. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar and enjoy it while it is still warm…

chocolate croissant-ish

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Rachel Cotterill March 29, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Mmm, these look tasty! I did a lesson (in France) on how to make croissants and they are hard work, so a cheating version sounds good – I’m now imagining how to ‘fake’ almond croissants (my favourites) in the same way.

2 Patricia March 30, 2009 at 6:48 am

Hi Rachel, a lesson in France sounds like it would be a lot of fun! But I prefer simple things (I’m a little lazy). I was thinking after I posted this that I think rolling the puff pastry into the shape of real croissant would work pretty well too though I have not tried it yet. Let me know if you do make almond croissants, I’m always looking for new variations :)

3 Amanda March 30, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Looks delish to me!

4 Amy March 30, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Oh my! Those look so delicious!

5 RecipeGirl March 31, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I don’t think I want any puff pastry around. That looks too simple to whip up. Too evil and tempting!

6 Molly April 1, 2009 at 9:06 pm

OMG, these look soooo good. I’m definitely gonna have to try this recipe out.

Oooh, I know — I should make some for my mom for Mother’s Day! :-)

7 Gaby April 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm

These look soo fabulous!!!

8 Heidi April 11, 2009 at 2:31 am

I just found your blog yesterday and tried these out today. They are fabulous and so quick and easy! I hope you don’t mind but I posted my trial of them on my blog.

Thanks for the idea!

9 Patricia April 12, 2009 at 2:06 am

Hi Heidi! I’m glad you tried these (I love them and they *are* easy). Yours look really good too.

10 Lisa December 6, 2009 at 10:08 am

I am making these TODAY!!

And I have made croissants once and they were delicious and a LOT of work. I used the Baking with Julia recipe. Highly recommend it, if you have a couple of days to kill.