Easy apple tart and the roundup

by Patricia on March 21, 2009 · 10 comments

Frozen puff pastry, how do I leave thee?  Let me count the ways…  I love you as a turnover.  Twisted with cinnamon and sugar for an easy treat.  Palmiers you roll up quickly.  And most recently, I love you as a simple tart…

If you have not yet discovered the frozen puff pastry at your local grocer, go now.  Straight to the freezer section.  Seriously.  You should have some in your freezer.  I don’t use it that often, but I keep it around for emergencies.  You know, emergencies like you really want a danish or turnover now.  Or you have company and want to serve a homemade dessert without the work.

The key to puff pastry is allowing it to thaw properly before trying to do anything with it.  Try to unfold it too soon and it will crack or crumble apart.  Also, you want to remove it from the plastic and put it in a tea towel to thaw (the towel absorbs the moisture as it thaws so it doesn’t get icky.  Yes, that’s a technical term).

* How to make the apple tart after the roundup.

This week’s roundup from around the web….

Please forgive me as this week I did not do a brownie roundup.  I have been in the mood for more savory and tart things… like Meyer Lemon Ricotta Muffins from Recipe Girl.  Mmm. These look delicious.  And I am jonesing for some Meyer lemon now that my lemon curd is all gone.

I find myself mentioning my peanut butter and chocolate affinity a lot.  I can’t help it really, I love love love it.  But how could I forget about peanut butter and banana?  So in honor of this childhood favorite… Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins from Baking Bites.

What do you think of brussel sprouts?  I only remember trying them once.  And I hated them.  I don’t think that is an uncommon reaction.  But for some reason, this Fettucine with brussel sprouts from Pink of Perfection intrigues me.  First, it looks delicious.  Second, I’m not opposed to giving a once hated food a second chance (For example: Olives.  I truly disliked olives for most of my life.  And yet I felt compelled to try one at least once a year.  I think I was just searching for the right olives).  And lastly, according to Sarah at Pink of Perfection, this dinner cost $5… and given the current economic climate combined with the shock of my recent grocery spending… well, $5 sounds perfect.

Quick and easy apple tart

1. thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry in a tea towel (about 15-20 minutes).

2. peel and slice 2 apples.

3.  roll the puff pastry out a bit (about 12×9…ish)

4. Spread the apples onto the puff pastry.  Dot with butter (about 2 tbsp cut into small cubes).  Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. (cheddar cheese is good too)

5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes (until golden brown).

The hardest part is really waiting for the puff pastry to thaw.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Sophie March 22, 2009 at 11:34 am

MMMMMMMM….i love desserts as simple as this,…MMMMMMMMMMM….

2 Patricia March 23, 2009 at 11:32 pm

@Sophie, Me too! Really this is adaptable to other fruits as well like pears or peaches, though I think you’d want to make sure they were kind of firm (I haven’t tried it with either yet but am looking forward to some experiments).

3 Larry March 23, 2009 at 12:41 am

This looks awesome! I agree with on the versatility of puff pastry too. I make a salad that starts with little “rounds” of puff pastry, a thick slice of gorgonzola, a couple slices of seasoned roasted tomatoes, and field greens and mandarin oranges around the plate. Looks great, total crowd pleaser.
Good site, kudos!
Larry

4 Patricia March 23, 2009 at 11:31 pm

@Larry, That salad sounds delicious! Thanks for the new idea using puff pastry. Another savory favorite of mine is a brie en croute…. roll the pastry out, put a small wheel of brie in the center, top with pecans and raspberry jam. Then close it up so that the pastry encloses everything. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Serve with crackers or bread… it seems so fancy but is so easy.

5 Bread and Jam March 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

This looks so delicious! I’m so glad you talked about the puff pastry. Every cookbook I’ve read or cooking show I’ve watched, the chefs always mention it’s not necessary to make puff pastry from scratch – it tastes just as delicious when you purchase it from the store. Really like your blog. :-)

6 Patricia March 23, 2009 at 11:25 pm

@Bread and Jam, Thanks! Puff pastry is my favorite “cheat” in the kitchen. And who doesn’t love that puffy-flaky pastry? I’ve only tried 2 brands (Pepperidge farm and Trader Joe’s) – Do you know of any others that are easy to find?

7 Laura March 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm

When do you fold up the sides of the puff pastry?

8 Patricia March 27, 2009 at 5:01 am

Hi Laura, after you lay out the apples and sprinkle them with butter and sugar, you fold over the edges. I think it helped to keep some the juices contained. Hope that helps!